To the north of the road leading to t Church of St. Cajetan is the gate of the palace of Adil Shah. It is made of basalt and consists of a horizontal lintel resting on pillars decorated with mouldings and having on the outer side fragmentary perforated screens. Six steps in front of the gate led to the raised platform on which the gate stands. Its architecture is purely Brahmanical in style.
The palace of Adil Shah was a magnificent storeyed building with lofty staircases and is referred to as the most conspicuous building in the city by travellers on the eve of the Portuguese conquest. It was the residence of the Portuguese governors till 1695, and was afterwards used by them, on festive occasions. With the change of the governors’ residence to Panelim due to an epidemic and other causes, the structure suffered neglect. The dilapidated building was demolished in 1820 by the orders of the government and the materials transported to Panjim for construction of houses. Only the gate has remained.
Content sourced from asigoacircle.gov.in