In the Holy Hill, on the way to the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary, is a huge three-storeyed building of laterite, which was originally lime-plastered, but is now plastered with cement. It is square on plan with a large inner courtyard, around which is a cloistered verandah and numerous cells and halls. The vaulted ceilings in some of the halls are tastefully painted with floral decorations and scenes from the Holy Bible. The construction of the Convent and the Church of St. Monica commenced in 1606 and was completed in 1627. The building was destroyed in a fire in 1636 and rebuilt the following year. The Convent is also referred to as the Royal Monastery on account of the royal patronage it enjoyed. There were eleven chapels in the convent apart from t to novitiate and the seminary for girls. The church in the monastery is dedicated to St.Mary. Now the building houses the Mater Dei Institute for nuns, inaugurated in 1964.
Content sourced from asigoacircle.gov.in