Saturday, October 1, 2022
In the Holy Hill, on the way to the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary, is a huge three-storeyed building of laterite, which was originally lime-plastered, but is now plastered with cement. It is square on plan with...
On the southern outskirts of Old Goa is a HI on which stand this convent and church. Built of laterite, plastered with Iime-mortar, the plain looking church and the single-storeyed convent, with numerous cells are now in ruins. The...
Detail of a hero-stone with a royal personage sitting on a throne. (Fourteen century AD) ASI Museum Old Goa. The area around Old Goa extending to 3800 sq km between the Western Ghats and the Arabian Sea, with the Sawantwadi...
To the north of the road leading to t Church of St. Cajetan is the gate of the palace of Adil Shah. It is made of basalt and consists of a horizontal lintel resting on pillars decorated with mouldings...
Nothing remains of the Church of the Carmelites built in 1621, except the façade and a raised pavement which served as an altar. It is located to the south-east of the Church of St. Cajetan on a hill more...
Se Cathedral

Se Cathedral

0
This is the largest church among the group, and measures 35.36 m high on the façade, 76.2 m long and 55.16 m wide. Built on a raised plinth of laterite, covered with lime-plaster, the church has, besides the main...
To the south of St. Cajetan’s Church, on the main road leading to Ponda, is the gateway which formed the entrance to the College of St. Paul. The college was completed in 1542 and the Collegiate Church consecrated on...
For the Portuguese of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, politics and religion went hand in hand. Any conquest or colonization was done with religious zeal. They regarded themselves as the instruments of God on the mission of propagation of...
  Church of St. Francis of Assisi Further to the west of the Church of St. Francis of Assisi is the Chapel of St. Catherine. Built of laterite blocks it has a tower on either side of the facade. The chapel in...
Behind the gate of St. Paul's College is a kuchcha road branching off the main road, leading to the Chapel of St. Francis Xavier. It is built of laterite, plastered with lime-mortar, and has a tiled roof supported by...
Situated to the east of the tower of St. Augustine, it is a plain looking, building constructed in the beginning of the eighteenth century. The convent was abandoned in 1835. The Society of the Misericordia occupied it for some...
The museum has been functioning since 1964 in the abandoned convent of St. Francis of Assisi and is maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India. The collection consists of Brahmanical sculptures, hero-stones and sati-stones of the early and late...