Thursday, August 18, 2022
Home Tourist Destinations World Heritage Sites - Monuments

World Heritage Sites - Monuments

This guide to Old Goa is an account on the architectural masterpieces in the form of cathedrals, churches, chapels and convents for which Old Goa (Velha Goa) is famous. These were built between the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries AD...
Se Cathedral

Se Cathedral

0
This is the largest church among the group, and measures 35.36 m high on the façade, 76.2 m long and 55.16 m wide. Built on a raised plinth of laterite, covered with lime-plaster, the church has, besides the main...
Immediately to the south of the main road is the Professed House, a two-storeyed laterite building. Despite the opposition which the Jesuits faced, the building was completed in 1585. A part of the building was accidentally burnt down in...
  Floral designs on the walls of the Church of St. Francis of Assisi   Paintings The paintings in the churches were done on wooden boards and fixed between panels having floral designs as in the chapel housing the tomb of St. Xavier,...
As one proceeds about two kilometers on the main road towards Ponda, a kuchcha road branches off towards north at a place where a cross is fixed. The road leads to a hill on which, commanding a picturesque view,...
Behind the gate of St. Paul's College is a kuchcha road branching off the main road, leading to the Chapel of St. Francis Xavier. It is built of laterite, plastered with lime-mortar, and has a tiled roof supported by...
Detail of a hero-stone with a royal personage sitting on a throne. (Fourteen century AD) ASI Museum Old Goa. The area around Old Goa extending to 3800 sq km between the Western Ghats and the Arabian Sea, with the Sawantwadi...
To the south of St. Cajetan’s Church, on the main road leading to Ponda, is the gateway which formed the entrance to the College of St. Paul. The college was completed in 1542 and the Collegiate Church consecrated on...
To the west of the tower of St. Augustine is the Royal Chapel dedicated to St. Anthony, the national saint of Portugal and held in great veneration by the Portuguese. It was built in the beginning of the seventeenth...
In the Holy Hill, on the way to the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary, is a huge three-storeyed building of laterite, which was originally lime-plastered, but is now plastered with cement. It is square on plan with...
The museum has been functioning since 1964 in the abandoned convent of St. Francis of Assisi and is maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India. The collection consists of Brahmanical sculptures, hero-stones and sati-stones of the early and late...
Not far to the west of the Basilica of Born Jesus is the Holy Hill at the extremity of which is the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary. Built of laterite and plastered with lime mortar, it has...