Wednesday, October 23, 2019
Home Tourist Destinations World Heritage Sites - Monuments

World Heritage Sites - Monuments

The museum has been functioning since 1964 in the abandoned convent of St. Francis of Assisi and is maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India. The collection consists of Brahmanical sculptures, hero-stones and sati-stones of the early and late...
Pillory

The Pillory

Where the kuchcha road branches off from the road to Neura, leading to the Church and Convent of the Cross of Miracles, is a lone pillar on a raised platform. This once occupied the central place in the city...
On the southern outskirts of Old Goa is a HI on which stand this convent and church. Built of laterite, plastered with Iime-mortar, the plain looking church and the single-storeyed convent, with numerous cells are now in ruins. The...
To the west of the tower of St. Augustine is the Royal Chapel dedicated to St. Anthony, the national saint of Portugal and held in great veneration by the Portuguese. It was built in the beginning of the seventeenth...
Situated to the east of the tower of St. Augustine, it is a plain looking, building constructed in the beginning of the eighteenth century. The convent was abandoned in 1835. The Society of the Misericordia occupied it for some...
Nothing remains of the Church of the Carmelites built in 1621, except the façade and a raised pavement which served as an altar. It is located to the south-east of the Church of St. Cajetan on a hill more...
In the Holy Hill, on the way to the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary, is a huge three-storeyed building of laterite, which was originally lime-plastered, but is now plastered with cement. It is square on plan with...
As one proceeds about two kilometers on the main road towards Ponda, a kuchcha road branches off towards north at a place where a cross is fixed. The road leads to a hill on which, commanding a picturesque view,...
Behind the gate of St. Paul's College is a kuchcha road branching off the main road, leading to the Chapel of St. Francis Xavier. It is built of laterite, plastered with lime-mortar, and has a tiled roof supported by...
This tower, also on the Holy Hill, has four storeys with an arch in each. It is built of laterite and evidence of lime plaster is visible. Colossal in size, nearly 46 m high, this tower was meant to...
Not far to the west of the Basilica of Born Jesus is the Holy Hill at the extremity of which is the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary. Built of laterite and plastered with lime mortar, it has...
To the south of St. Cajetan’s Church, on the main road leading to Ponda, is the gateway which formed the entrance to the College of St. Paul. The college was completed in 1542 and the Collegiate Church consecrated on...